Originally Posted by momoftwins
Honestly, in our experience, schools are much more interested in addressing children's perceived social weaknesses and emotional issues in early elementary than they are in helping children improve upon their academic strengths. The level of support our children received for social/emotional issues was MUCH higher than the level of support that was offered for their academic strengths, even though in one case the lack of addressing academic needs was actually causing the other issues.

They may be much more likely to help your son resolve/avoid a possible "weakness" than to help him build upon an academic strength. If the teacher is suggesting wording to use in the email you should seriously consider doing it, even if it is different than the wording you would use. She probably knows what would work.

Thanks. I think you're right.

I don't think my son has major issues or anything. But sitting in the corner of the class by yourself for a month and a half before engaging with the class isn't exactly normal, either. He does have some trouble transitioning to new situations that he could use help with.

Sort of hard to really know though, since he also decided he wanted to teach himself the multiplication tables the first month of school. On recess he sat skip counting to himself and using his fingers to keep track of his work. Knowing that makes me feel a little better about it. He wasn't sad he was just focused on something else. But I'm sure to a K teacher he looked really off!