Originally Posted by _Angie_
Okay, thanks everyone!

Follow up question... spoke with the teacher about it today during my weekly volunteer spot. Teacher thought it was a great idea to keep my son and one of the two boys together. She thinks they really help each other and are great working together in class. This is the one I would have singled out as well. She said the K teachers will make the initial list and it will be adjusted by the principal as needed. She suggested I also pass on the request to the principal just to be sure.

The teacher reminded me (I guess I'd forgotten) that DS spent the entire first month and a half of K sitting by himself in the corner, not interacting with the class. Since that time he's come out of his shell and been a leader in the classroom. It is true that he really does sit back and feel out a situation before becoming part of it, if that makes sense.

Anyway, K teacher thinks email to the principal should highlight that DS is slow to adjust to new situations as a supporting reason for pairing the two kids together. My husband is adamant that we not make the request by highlight DS's weaknesses, when they really haven't been an issue. He doesn't want him labelled in some way.

I'm not sure which reasoning to take when asking for the request. My real reason is that this other boy is his intellectual peer, but I don't know how to say that without triggering anti-gifted reactions in people.

Thoughts?

Well, I understand and agree with your husband's reasoning... but the teacher has given you a code phrase that she may know will work. Could you do both? Request as this has helped him adjust plus they seem to be working at a similar, advanced level?