Ummm yeah he needs an AT eval and don't let them try to convince you otherwise. A proper AT eval will assess his abilities and formulate a plan which, if faithfully executed, will allow him to fully access his education. Period.

I would not have him rewrite his work. If he is dysgraphic this is just going to serve to frustrate him and really won't accomplish much. It's not that he's sloppy or lazy - it is a disability. Handwritten work is *very* difficult but he doesn't know what it's like for the other kids to find it easy to do. Personally I would rather have my kid focus on the learning part of her day than stressing out over trying to climb the mountain of making her handwriting look better. In my DD's case spending time and energy making her handwriting look better didn't serve much purpose school wise. Yes she can write a note on a friend's birthday card (of course with her dyslexia spelling still isn't there either so her notes look they were written by a much younger kid...) but she can't really use it to effectively demonstrate her knowledge. She just can't do it.

All through first grade the OT at the public refused to even consider introducing keyboarding despite the obvious need. Her feeling was "it's not developmentally appropriate to introduce keyboarding prior to 5th grade." Absolutely ridiculous. Fortunately the district's director of special services intervened and authorized an AT eval. (And of course since then the state has gone to computerized standardized testing so now kindergarteners are being introduced to keyboarding... Yeah ... Don't even get me started on that one...)

Her AT eval was done in 2nd grade and was about 25 pages long - then she had a supplementary one to assess just what would be the best keyboarding strategy to use which was another 8-10 pages or so. This is so much more that just trying different things for a couple of days. When she was placed at the OOD spec Ed school for third grade her OT was increased to 2 1/2 hours a week divided between work on handwriting and AT. Lots of difficulty getting voice to text to work with a child's voice, especially with her speech issues. DD had an app that allowed her to snap a photo of math work sheets and write with her finger rather than having to hold a pencil - that worked great and was a big part of getting her comfortable using her iPad.

By 4th grade they found that the built in voice to text that comes on iPad 2 or higher worked really well with DD'S voice. The district upgraded her iPad and we also bought one for her to use at home. She uses the app CoWriter which allows her to move back and forth between keyboarding and voice to text - ie if voice to text isn't picking up a word she says she can type it in. Or if she's typing and not getting close enough for word prediction to guess what she means she can speak the word instead. We also introduced cursive since some dysgraphic kids find that easier than printing. Now in 5th grade the OT thinks DD has come as far as she can with handwriting and DD prefers to handwrite her math work. The rest of school is completely dependent on Assistive technology - audio books, voice to text, text to voice, apps that allow her to copy and paste or use graphic organizers - I really don't know where she would be without it.

So no don't let them avoid the AT issue. It can be life changing.