Originally Posted by RRD
As for DS6, it's hard to tell whether it could be a LD or whether it's his extreme perfectionism kicking in - he's not instantly good at it and so he doesn't want to do it.

I wouldn't be quick to assume that the behavior you are seeing is perfectionism - do you see perfectionistic tendencies in other, completely non-related, activities? If you do, them maybe it's truly just perfectionism, but behaviors due to LDs/challenges can often *look* like perfectionism - continuing to watch is definitely the thing to do.

He doesn't like to have to work at anything because he thinks that he should just be good at something as soon as he tries it.

Again, this might be what's truly happening, or it might be that he's frustrated because it is taking him awhile to learn some types of things due to a challenge that you can't see at this point in time.

I just find it peculiar that he could have us read books to him all day and yet, he isn't motivated to learn to read so that he could do it by himself.

Our ds was like this - I am not sure if his non-motivation to learn to read was due to his LDs (DCD, dysgraphia, expressive learning disorder), or if it was simply because he loved the attention and close time with a parent while reading aloud. We also read (ok, I read) larger, longer, more complicated books to him when I was reading than he was capable of reading to himself, so he loved being read to for the mental stimulation - up until he suddenly (almost overnight) turned into a voracious reader who has never looked back.

I also would suggest - keep reading out loud to him! We were told back in elementary school that the very very *VERY* best thing you can do for your child re learning and reading is to read aloud *to* them - no matter how old they are or how competent a reader they are.

Best wishes,

polarbear