Originally Posted by RRD
Also, he LOVES books and LOVES to learn but HATES to read.
This could have described my DS when he was 6 (though "hate" may be a bit strong, as he preferred me to read to him so that he could follow along). So maybe it's possible that your DS simply finds the decoding process frustratingly slow?

We had learned that DS was HG+ this time last year. While he had a huge vocabulary, he wasn't reading much, if at all, above grade level. He was big into recognizing whole words by sight but not really into breaking words down and sounding them out (he was doing a lot of context guessing by first letter), and so we were a little concerned that we were possibly dealing with a stealth dyslexic. Aeh gave me some great advice around that time, saying that it was hard to know at his age whether he was dyslexic or that his path to learning to read was simply a little different from most people's. I suspect that the latter ended up being more true, for he suddenly just "got it" about a month later and was reading at the 4th grade level by summer. He has no trouble decomposing new words now and is a voracious reader on his own. We're still on the lookout for potential hidden issues, but we've been able to put them on the back burner for now.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that, it's good to be engaged and concerned, but it may just work out over time by itself.