Diana, I think I'd like to give them a chance to accommodate him first..

I know my OP made it sound like I thought the director and staff were completely inept (along with my frustrated comment about them not knowing the cause of the hitting for weeks), but in actuality the director and I both observed him together and she was the first one to say aloud, "Oh, he's bored!" I also have to give her credit when I came to her about the staff possibly rewarding the hitting without knowing it, she immediately said, "So! Focus on the child who has been hit instead of [DS, and don't give him a one-on-one talk]." She also began to brainstorm aloud about giving him a structured activity or focused attention during free time as that's when the behavior seemed to be worst. That's why I was so angry in retrospect when I remembered she told me it "wasn't normal"--it only took her and me 15 mins of observation to figure out why he was hitting.

This is why I'm considering NOW is the time to mention that he might be bored because he knew at least 50% of this stuff before he was 18mos old.

Last edited by Magenta; 02/21/16 05:30 AM.