Originally Posted by Platypus101
Dictation can be tough with kid voices (though I do find my daughter's getting a lot better IF she has the patience to practice - and will actually listen to advice about how she needs to to speak if she wants her words recognized - smile ). We've found word prediction a big help at age 7-8, when voice recognition was too frustrating. And it's easier to use in a classroom full of other people.

In your meeting, it might be helpful to ask them what they would suggest as alternative ways to demonstrate his knowledge - and to what extent and how often they would expect to let him use them.

There are several threads which discuss all sorts of potential dysgraphia accommodations in detail; if you have trouble finding them in a search, I'm sure we can help track them down. Good luck!

Thanks! It will probably be necessary to do word recognition in a quiet setting. I'm concerned about longer output expectations as we're looking into a gifted program (not just pull out but whole day) and I'm worried that compared with a bunch of gifted kids, there may be a ton of writing expected.

I like the idea of asking them how they allow students to show their knowledge. That's a great idea. And I've searched the forums for dysgraphia recommendations but for some reason can only search back a year. I will continue trying but if you know of some great threads or can recognize them that would be super awesome smile

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.