Originally Posted by blackcat
aeh, so do you know how F&P is different? I'm just curious.

I've found this chart helpful.
https://www.readinga-z.com/learninga-z-levels/level-correlation-chart/

My DS7's school uses F&P (the level sometimes given on report cards), RAZ kids and Reading A-Z. The F&P levels are different from Reading A-Z levels so it gets confusing when, for example, his teacher said his reading group was instructional level Q but doesn't say if that is F&P or Reading A-Z which is about a grade level difference (never mind that DS is reading F&P level T-V books at home and complains lower level books are boring and don't have enough depth).

I've found teachers don't bother to assess more than one level up from where the kid was previously. This has been a real problem, especially in Kindy and 1st when DS was making huge bursts in his reading. They also seem to get hung up on looking for specific answers in their assessments. For example, in 1st the teacher insisted DS couldn't be at a higher reading level because he wasn't comprehending enough. When I asked what specifically he wasn't comprehending, she answered he wasn't getting "beyond the text" type questions which surprised me because he has an amazing ability to find connections between things. I found out later that he would answer these questions with "that wasn't in the book" and she wouldn't bother to probe further but just assume it meant he didn't know the answer.

Last edited by dreamsbig; 02/07/16 03:22 PM.