Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Jolaine83 Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/11/15 10:17 PM
My DS5 is in Kindergarten this year and is reading above his grade level. The work he completes in class is stuff he went into preschool at 3 being able to do. He is sent home with books that are level I (A to Z levels) but that appears to be his only proper level instruction. I decided that maybe it was time to open a dialogue with his teacher to see if we can do something else to challenge him.

To see the proper way to do things, I emailed the advanced education rep for his elementary mainly just for tips on how to best approach his teacher. She in turned let his teacher in on the fact I was emailing her and the response was that he was in fact not at that level. There was also lots of head patting in the email response of how he'd be fine. They said he was at level F, several levels below and he was sent home with that level of book today. I know he can read far beyond this. I wasn't even sure level I was challenging to him.

How do I even start to talking to him when this was the immediate response? I don't want to be pushy but this is not at all what I expected back.
Posted By: BSM Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/11/15 10:30 PM
If you don't advocate for your kids no one will. Some school admins and teachers do not seem to understand that people develop at different speeds. Be firm, persistent and polite for the best results. Prepare for dysfunctional communication with the schools, though, because that seems to be the norm.
Posted By: ConnectingDots Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/11/15 10:46 PM
I'd wait and see if that level comes home again on Monday. It's possible it came home in error.

Beyond that, spaghetti and BSM are both right, in my experience.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/11/15 11:49 PM
I have been reading post after post on this forum about this crazy reading system (It is most likely Fountas and Pinnel/ "Guided Reading") and all the push-back that parents get when they ask about their child's reading level or indicate that they think their child is placed too low. From what I understand there is an assessment for each level. So an assessment for C, an assessment for F, etc. all the way to Z. If they pass the level "L", for instance, then theoretically they should be given "M" but there appears to be caps for each grade level and some teachers/schools follow the caps and others don't. I am not clear whether the assessments for certain levels are 100 percent one-on-one with the teacher and student or whether some levels also involve writing, but DD's 5th grade teacher told me that she didn't do that well on the "writing" portion of the "W" reading assessment, but she did well verbally. So, she is stuck at a level W because her writing stinks (she actually has writing services in her IEP). Two years ago at this time she was at a Level V, in third grade at a different school. I inquired about going up only one level in two years and immediately got a sort of attitude and brush off, "Oh, that school must not be asking as much as we are" blah blah. I didn't argue but felt like asking what kind of assessment system this is, then, if two different schools can give the same assessment and come up with wildly different results. Meanwhile my third grader is also at a level "W" but his MAP reading score is lower than DD's. So what gives?

DS was at level "O" in kindergarten, then the next year he regressed to an "L", then in second grade he was at around an "N". We switched schools mid-year (to the supposedly more vigourous, strict school when it comes to these assessments) and suddenly he was at a "T", and now a few months later he is at a "W". It's all a big mystery to me how they arrive at these levels. I think the schools must know it's a big mess and they get very defensive when parents ask about it.

Are they giving you an attitude about anything else, or just the reading level?
Posted By: Jolaine83 Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/12/15 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
I'd wait and see if that level comes home again on Monday. It's possible it came home in error.

Beyond that, spaghetti and BSM are both right, in my experience.

That's a good point. I will do that before emailing the teacher.
Posted By: Jolaine83 Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/12/15 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by blackcat
I have been reading post after post on this forum about this crazy reading system (It is most likely Fountas and Pinnel/ "Guided Reading") and all the push-back that parents get when they ask about their child's reading level or indicate that they think their child is placed too low. From what I understand there is an assessment for each level. So an assessment for C, an assessment for F, etc. all the way to Z. If they pass the level "L", for instance, then theoretically they should be given "M" but there appears to be caps for each grade level and some teachers/schools follow the caps and others don't. I am not clear whether the assessments for certain levels are 100 percent one-on-one with the teacher and student or whether some levels also involve writing, but DD's 5th grade teacher told me that she didn't do that well on the "writing" portion of the "W" reading assessment, but she did well verbally. So, she is stuck at a level W because her writing stinks (she actually has writing services in her IEP). Two years ago at this time she was at a Level V, in third grade at a different school. I inquired about going up only one level in two years and immediately got a sort of attitude and brush off, "Oh, that school must not be asking as much as we are" blah blah. I didn't argue but felt like asking what kind of assessment system this is, then, if two different schools can give the same assessment and come up with wildly different results. Meanwhile my third grader is also at a level "W" but his MAP reading score is lower than DD's. So what gives?

DS was at level "O" in kindergarten, then the next year he regressed to an "L", then in second grade he was at around an "N". We switched schools mid-year (to the supposedly more vigourous, strict school when it comes to these assessments) and suddenly he was at a "T", and now a few months later he is at a "W". It's all a big mystery to me how they arrive at these levels. I think the schools must know it's a big mess and they get very defensive when parents ask about it.

Are they giving you an attitude about anything else, or just the reading level?

This is really the first time we're dealing with it. I've asked for harder work in the last when the teacher sent home sight word flashcards. She sent home a book of nursery rhymes that he immediately read to me. It was supposed to be a challenge and wasn't it, which tells me she didn't know quite where he was at that point.

The levels are based on a program called A to Z reading. I'm hoping to find more beyond that this next week, like how they test for it.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/12/15 03:36 AM
I think it's a little different than F&P, in that the levels are lower (so a level "L" in A to Z is lower than an L is is for F&P, for example). I think there is a similar assessment system but I don't know a lot about it.
Posted By: aeh Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/12/15 06:27 AM
Reading A to Z uses a running record accuracy of 95+%, retell rubric of 95+%, and comprehension quick check quiz of 95+% as the level advancement criteria. In first and second grade, there are six or seven levels expected. After 2nd grade, students should be advancing about three to four levels per year. I is late first grade. F is early first grade.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/12/15 03:09 PM
aeh, so do you know how F&P is different? I'm just curious.
Posted By: Malraux Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/12/15 04:57 PM
Our DS5 (in kindergarten) got assessed at a DRA 8 (roughly corresponds with an end of kindergarten, start of first grade level). Given that he reads stuff that is closer to 3rd grade books at home it didn't fit.

What we did was ask what drove this disparity. It's important to figured out if there's something they see that you don't or they follow a hard cap on how high you go, or something else. For us, our son had/has issues with retelling or comprehension. It gave us a specific target to work on, which is good. I'd approach it non confrontationally to start with and just ask what is going on. Given that he's now bringing home dra 28 books, it's working thus far.
Posted By: Lovemydd Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 12/12/15 10:31 PM
Since your ds is so young, and if he is enjoying school despite not being challenged, one option would be to let it go. Give him complete freedom at home to read whatever he wants but don't push for anything at school. I know many may not agree with this approach but K is so much more than just academics- friends, playtime and just getting used to school routines.
Posted By: dreamsbig Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 02/07/16 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by blackcat
aeh, so do you know how F&P is different? I'm just curious.

I've found this chart helpful.
https://www.readinga-z.com/learninga-z-levels/level-correlation-chart/

My DS7's school uses F&P (the level sometimes given on report cards), RAZ kids and Reading A-Z. The F&P levels are different from Reading A-Z levels so it gets confusing when, for example, his teacher said his reading group was instructional level Q but doesn't say if that is F&P or Reading A-Z which is about a grade level difference (never mind that DS is reading F&P level T-V books at home and complains lower level books are boring and don't have enough depth).

I've found teachers don't bother to assess more than one level up from where the kid was previously. This has been a real problem, especially in Kindy and 1st when DS was making huge bursts in his reading. They also seem to get hung up on looking for specific answers in their assessments. For example, in 1st the teacher insisted DS couldn't be at a higher reading level because he wasn't comprehending enough. When I asked what specifically he wasn't comprehending, she answered he wasn't getting "beyond the text" type questions which surprised me because he has an amazing ability to find connections between things. I found out later that he would answer these questions with "that wasn't in the book" and she wouldn't bother to probe further but just assume it meant he didn't know the answer.
Posted By: aeh Re: Trying to start the ball rolling - 02/08/16 01:26 AM
blackcat, sorry, totally did not see your question. F&P's benchmark assessment does consist of a scored running record of oral reading, which includes accuracy and rate, and follow-up comprehension questions at three levels (within, beyond, about the text).

Some documents on F&P/LLI's assessment system:

executive summary on the technical properties of the assessment (hint: not good, but that won't be obvious to the average consumer):
http://assets.pearsonschool.com/asset_mgr/current/201138/BASExecSummary.pdf

one-page description of assessment:
http://www.heinemann.com/fountasand...rminingInstructionalIndeptHardLevels.pdf

detailed directions on conducting and scoring assessment:
http://spboe.org/cms/lib3/NJ0100177...untas-Pinnell%20Shortcut%20Documents.pdf

FAQ on assessment, from publisher, including recommendations for students who are clearly reading much above their grade placement (hint: they recommend "extending" grade level reading, no more than a grade level above, rather than placing them at their assessed level):
https://www.heinemann.com/shared/supportingMaterials/benchmark/FAQs.pdf

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum