My DS5 is in Kindergarten this year and is reading above his grade level. The work he completes in class is stuff he went into preschool at 3 being able to do. He is sent home with books that are level I (A to Z levels) but that appears to be his only proper level instruction. I decided that maybe it was time to open a dialogue with his teacher to see if we can do something else to challenge him.

To see the proper way to do things, I emailed the advanced education rep for his elementary mainly just for tips on how to best approach his teacher. She in turned let his teacher in on the fact I was emailing her and the response was that he was in fact not at that level. There was also lots of head patting in the email response of how he'd be fine. They said he was at level F, several levels below and he was sent home with that level of book today. I know he can read far beyond this. I wasn't even sure level I was challenging to him.

How do I even start to talking to him when this was the immediate response? I don't want to be pushy but this is not at all what I expected back.