Gosh, I feel for you. That is hard. It's hard to leave something that is working!

Just as a hopefully helpful story: I moved a lot as a kid, like 8 schools in 5 years moved a lot.

One day, I was asked how horrible it was. I responded honestly, it wasn't horrible. In fact, I happen to be really good at making friends quickly and dropping into established groups. I didn't have problems with cliques in high school. I could jump into any of them. All that moving around, that probably most psychologists would say is bad, actually really gave me a solid social skill in high school and adulthood. I really wanted friends when I moved, and that required me to be extra social. With most hardships, there is usually an upside. We just often can't see it in the moment. I'm sure my Mom fretted over the constant moves, in fact she has told me she did. I think my family kept my confidence up, which was also important.

Maybe this move will give your son something better in another way, closer to family or family friends, ocean sailing, knowledge of farming techniques, a space lab nearby, who knows what cool thing you will be moving toward as you leave something good behind.

Hang in there! You'll get it worked out.