I wasn't sure whether to post this but hoping someone has some insight. DD is in orchestra (5th grade) and plays the cello. I can't get her to practice it but she refuses to give it up. I have heard of parents making their child play an instrument but I feel like this is the opposite, where I want her to quit but she refuses. She also plays piano and we don't have the same issues getting her to practice. I think when she signed up for orchestra it was a year commitment. Even though she literally NEVER practices she claims that she is at the same level as the other cellos.

Part of the problem is that she has some major focus issues. By the time she gets home from school and gets her homework done, her meds are worn off and she is very scattered.

If she gives up the cello now (as in, I email the teacher and tell her DD can no longer do it), has the ship sailed, and it will be too late later on to join band/orchestra?

I was wondering about percussion for next year possibly, and whether that requires practice at home?