Do the students really work at their own pace, or are they placed into a level and then work at the pace of the class they're in? If it is the former, I wouldn't worry about missing basics because presumably they will start at their level and move forward in a sequential manner. If it is the latter, then there is a possibility of gaps--but there is an even bigger possibility that the class ends up moving too slowly. For whatever reason, many gifted schools/programs think it is enough to put kids in a class one or two levels up and then move at a one year per grade pace from there. Also, make sure that their idea of having students move at their own pace isn't just sticking them in front of a computer and watching Khan Academy videos. I'd also ask for a resource list.

As for reintegrating into a traditional school setting--if the kids really are allowed to go at their own pace, many of them will be working 2-4 (or more) years ahead by the time they finish middle school. Many high schools have strict rules about what freshmen can take--for example, the high school in my town didn't until recently allow freshmen and sophomores to take AP classes or math higher than Algebra II.

And regarding the curriculum--I'd ask to see their curriculum map (it will probably be a large document so they might just let you look at it on site). You want to know whether they have an overarching plan both within each level and from grade to grade. You also should ask to see a resource list (which might be part of the curriculum map--but a separate document that you can take home would be better). You want to see that they have been thoughtful in the selection of the resources they use. The other reason to ask for a curriculum map and resource list is that their ability to produce them lets you know something about how organized the administration is and how well they are translating their vision into action.

Last edited by Kai; 01/06/16 10:57 AM.