Originally Posted by blackcat
Teachers can't even differentiate work for students who are in the "normal" range, or students who are mildly gifted, so how would they ever do it for a student who is twice exceptional? I went through a lot of effort to get an IEP for DD and I'm not sure if the teachers have even read it. Things that seem like they should be very basic, like modifying the assignments, aren't done in any sort of regular way. And the communication is horrible.

We are supposedly in one of the best districts in Illinois and we have the same issues. Our district does fairly well for kids that are neurotypical and gifted (DS15 is an example of that though his instruction has been lacking at times), but not for 2e.

We've experienced all of the same problems and have to constantly fight the school to get them to comply with the IEP. Some teachers and classroom aides seem to intuitively get DS12 and his issues, but others don't, and don't seem to care either.

A couple of things that have worked for us:

1) We hired a special ed attorney who accompanies us to all IEP meetings. This prevents the district from pulling a fast one and denying services. We usually get what we want out the meetings.

2) I re-wrote the accommodations part of the IEP to explain each accommodation in detail, why it exists, and how to apply it. I've also distributed this section to all teachers and aides as an "IEP at a Glance". This is a recent development but appears to be working so far.