That is an amazing example, I had no idea that this sort of thing could happen. It did actually ring a few bells for me as when DS was learning to read he really struggled with phonics and was much better with sight words (compared with my other children who were the other way around). I remember getting so frustrated because he would read lists of words like 'dog, log, cog' correctly and then, just when I thought he was getting the hang of it, he would come to 'bog' and say 'because' or 'beautiful' or some other word that started with a B that wasn't even remotely related sound-wise or even the same number of syllables. He didn't seem to be able to translate the sounds from one word to another. I was probably really impatient with him because it seemed like such a simple concept to me and my other kids never had any issues getting the hang of it - I feel a bit guilty now but I had no idea about how complex all of this was at the time. Will definitely follow it up with the psych and get some more testing done - thanks again for your advice.