It's not a mistake Maisey, it's just something that happened. Please don't beat yourself up over it though I get how stressful the fallout can be. Such things can happen for all kinds of reasons and will again because you honestly don't know what will affect your child so strongly at times. It happens with our DD. She is not aspie but she can react very intensely to things. Take it as a learning moment for how you respond to such events so you can develop strategies as you move forward.

You have not done anything wrong, your DS was attentive to details that passed others by. He will recover and this too shall pass. I usually counter such fears with more information if it will be accepted, or sometimes it's about acknowledging the fears and a discussion about the likelihood or not, or how to deal with things if they do happen.

We had to discuss who would look after DD in the event of DH and I dying suddenly in an accident. Ugh. Not a conversation you really want late at night with a then 5 year old but she wasn't dropping it. She felt better just knowing there was a plan in place and she had input into it.