This is the thread I was talking about:
http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/221963/1.html

You may appreciate the advice from everyone, if only for how many people GET it!

Edited to add that just like in our case, there may be deeper issues at play, exemplified by your oblique "two years and one play date" comment. That is extremely sad for your child and I wish I could ship my little one over, they might get on like a house on fire! DH and I give thanks every time the issue comes up how much better DS9 is integrated in school than either of us ever were - not popular, rather on the fringes, but not an outsider, few friends, but he does have them, they do have the occasional play dates, and he gets invited to a few birthday parties. How about organizing play dates with kids from swim class or martial arts class, maybe cub scouts if he gets into it? I found that even if I set up play dates and they did not work so well, DS got social practice in and memories of occasionally having fun times with other kids, even if they play date wasn't repeated. I see it as "training" as well, just like sports I a way - training how to be a social being, and, god love me, training how to be a "normal" child and experiencing a "normal" childhood. He may look back and realize he had horribly eccentric parents living in an horribly eccentric house and doing eccentric family pursuits, but he will have memories of where he fit into mainstream childhood and managed all right. Dunno how other people just live their lives raising their kids, to me it's like an endless exhausting project without blueprints whatsoever. Throw a child with severe disabilities in the mix and "fitting in" takes on yet another meaning. With all ball sports out of the picture, things are even harder.
Have you tried minecraft as a social tool?

Last edited by Tigerle; 11/02/15 10:06 AM.