Originally Posted by _Angie_
Also, it's really hard not to take this personally.

I can't remember the last time an adult lied to me. It's really disrespectful.

Angie, I wouldn't take this personally at all. Chances are that whatever is behind the situation here (could be laziness, could be not caring, could simply be a person who is overworked in a part time job, could be any number of reasons)... but chances are it has nothing to do with you or your ds personally - other parents are probably receiving the same type of responses/non-responses. If the issue behind this is an incompetent teacher who isn't straightforward and tries to cover her own tracks... chances are the district is aware of it because chances are it's happened before.

I do think that things will be ok - even on the off chance that at some point the district came back and said your ds needs to be retested because scores are older than one year, you have these email conversations now to prove the scores were submitted within one year. If you stick to your advocacy to use these scores, they most likely will use them. Administering another test would cost the district staff time and money. The AIG teacher also said in the email above that your ds would be id'd as gifted in math and reading, so if there's any question, bring that email back up at that point in time and ask what has changed.

I also wouldn't forward emails to the teacher/etc just to prove someone is not being honest. Keep your focus on advocating for your ds, be polite, be respectful yourself even if you feel like you aren't receiving respect, and just keep advocating. Rather than focus so much on the expiration of test scores when advocating, I'd also try to turn the focus to what your ds needs at school in terms of academics and why identification as gifted is important now, not later.

Best wishes,

polarbear