LAF, my daughter had almost the exact same WISC profile. Like, scary similar. And interestingly, she doesn't always "look" that gifted to me either. She is older and has had more time to perform at things, and when I look at all the evidence, (SAT scores, writing competition wins, Explore scores, etc.) I have to admit that the tester probably didn't make a mistake. smile

I think there is something about verbal giftedness that maybe presents differently than a mathier kid. She is dreamy and intense and often unhappy. She thinks and feels a ton about relationships with friends, with us. I am a psychoanalyst and she is fascinated by what I do, always wants to listen in to juicy adult conversations that have to do with conflict, strong emotions. My favorite moment from the Summit: She was talking to a DYS parent who is a PhD English professor. She was 12. They were discussing a book they had both read. "Did you like it?" he asked. "It was okay... the voice didn't really work for me." (PhD guys stops and thinks for a minute.) "You know, you are right. The voice was problematic."

I'm rambling a bit, but you should definitely apply. My experience with two successful DYS applications -- it is the scores that matter. I don't think they keep you out if you can't tell some story about how they wrote a screenplay at 5. Just go ahead and submit!

Last edited by gabalyn; 10/15/15 05:29 PM.