Originally Posted by eco21268
Our NP made a recommendation that DS has a "safe person" at school. This recommendation wasn't implemented (of course). Is that something your school people talk about?

Yup on the approach being so important to gain compliance. DS here can look like a doorstop (or worse) if I try to get all authoritarian with him. Angry voice? Forget about it...he hears "anger" when it's actually much milder (frustration, annoyance). Interestingly, he also uses "anger" to describe any confusing emotion of his own...

No one brought this up but I had thought about it - a staff member who DS could view as a reliable "buddy" and sounding board. It would be a nice solution, but I don't see anyone that I know of at the school taking on such a role.

Your DS and mine are cut from the same cloth. Mine has trouble discerning excitement vs. anger. Sometimes I've been excited about something and spoken to him in a loud voice, and he's concluded that I was angry. It is the weirdest thing. I put it down to my growing up in a loud, obnoxious New York family. smile I'm still getting used to the relatively laid back midwest.