I don't know if this applies for your DS, but a psychologist who evaluated mine at age 7-8 ish explained it like this: DS processing speed is just average, and 30+ points difference between reasoning ability. Psych said that behavioral issues were likely related to "reaching for low hanging fruit" in his interactions with other children.

IOW, he could quickly/easily access something low-level and silly to entertain his classmates and get some social acceptance. His more reflective process was (and still is) way far out, takes a lot more time to articulate, and would likely be experienced as odd by children who aren't similar.

This is still true--but in his gifted program, he has found peers who "get" him. Teachers are a little more mixed...

Another thing, and I don't really know if this is related to PSI, but I can imagine how it might be: DS is the kid who will ALWAYS get caught and in trouble for things everyone else is doing, also. I think this is related to not being attuned to social cues and perhaps also to spending a lot of time in that grey area of reconciling reasoning v. speed. He's always a few beats behind in this sort of thing. He doesn't have the savvy to both interact with peers and notice what the adults in charge are doing/thinking/cueing. He has pretty severe EF deficits, though, so this may not really be relevant to the PSI thing.

This doesn't really apply to schoolwork, I realize. And DS can produce his work in a normal amount of time, I guess because his speed is "average" and not below. Getting him started is a bigger issue.