Originally Posted by aeh
If I understand correctly, he can do the math problem quickly and accurately -on paper- if in the form of an application problem, but not if in the form of a naked computation. Is this the situation? That is, is the difference in computational speed and accuracy (aka fluency) evident regardless of response medium (paper or oral)

Not exactly. He can do ANY type of problem, whether an application or a naked computation, quickly and accurately (95.5 % accuracy) on homework and classwork papers. He does not do nearly as well on timed tests. His school uses Xtra Math and his one day pull out program uses Sumdog. Xtra Math shows he is not yet proficient in single digit addition, Sumdog shows him at second grade second month in math. Whether he can do them verbally or not depends...and I haven't figured out on what. I have verbally quizzed him on single digit addition and subtraction in the car, and he does it relatively quickly. However recently I tried a story problem and then the same problem via naked computation, and he could not do the computation. (I was giving the cats treats, I told him that each cat gets 5 treats, and I had given each cat 2. How many total treats do I still need? He answered immediately with "6". I asked him what is 5 + 5 -2 -2 and he could not figure it it out.) Don't know if that points one way or another...

Oh yes and then there is the math homework he assigns to his grandmother every day...most recently he has found worksheets online on mean, mode, median and is having her complete the worksheets for him to correct. Thank goodness she is a good sport, she does her homework and he checks it! :-)

Tonight we send an email to his psych asking for further evaluation to figure this out...DH and I can read articles and post on bulletin boards all we like, but it's akin to throwing a dart at a dart board....we don't necessarily know what would be significant to mention. One thing that is clear from the advice we have gotten here, is that it's clearly time to bring the professional back in! And please understand I am not criticizing the advice received, it has provided the clarity needed to know that going back to the psych for more testing is the right thing to do. I have diabetes and can usually adjust my insulin levels myself to keep my sugars where they belong, but sometimes I need to consult the doc to have her adjust the levels. This is one of those times to have the doc adjust the levels.

Mrs. P