Originally Posted by polarbear
This is jmo, but I believe it's really most important to understand the *reason* for the slow fluency before trying to drill on something like math facts. It's possible that their idea of getting him fluent will work, but if there is a root cause behind the slow fluency type of tests, and you haven't defined what it is or understand what it is, you could waste a lot of time trying to get a student to accomplish something in a way that isn't going to work, and the only thing you'll come out with on the other side is one very frustrated student.

Exactly what I had been thinking, but could not put words to. Thank you!

It's a good plan to contact the psychologist, but rather than focusing on refuting claims of immaturity, I'd take the focus off of the school and put the focus on figuring out why there is a gap in processing speed etc. It's a subtle change of focus, but basically it helped me a lot in the elementary years to remember to focus my efforts on my child's needs not focus them on the battle with the school. Hope that makes sense!

Makes perfect sense. We had been debating which was better - take the fight to the school or delve further into the reason for the processing delay. I have been reading every thing I can get my hands on, and can't seem to find anything that definitively fits, except possibly poor EF. But I am not a trained expert, and probably read just enough to make me dangerous! :-)

Thank you so much for the remider of where our focus should be -- on DS.