Originally Posted by blackcat
I also think that boredom is unlikely to be causing the problem unless he is finishing everything really fast and then doesn't know what to do with himself.

It is actually the opposite...they give him the classwork and he clowns around and plays with stuff then when they force the issue he dashes off the work very quickly, and accurately.

Recently he lost recess because they told them to draw a picture of something interesting that happened in the book the teacher just read with the class "Ramona Quimby" DS did not draw anything and got no credit. When I asked, he said he couldn't think of anything interesting in the book. I asked what was his favorite Wimpy Kid book, he immediately replied and told me what interesting thing from that book he would have drawn. He read that particular Wimpy Kid book on vacation in July.

He doesn't fidget with the stuff on his desk, he plays with them like they are toys. He has quite an imagination, and lives in his pretend world too much sometimes. Occasionally we have to ask him "is this in "DS World" or in the real world?".

If he is just slow when a timer is involved (maybe because the timer stresses him out?), but you think he actually is fluent with the facts otherwise, then that shouldn't be a problem and I would push the school on that.

That is exactly what we think...he can do the math when no timer is involved. It's the cut and dried regurgitating of math facts that he cannot do when timed. Interestingly, I recently asked him a math problem in story form and he answered it immediately. I asked him the same thing as a math facts equation and he cold not answer it. When I explained to him that it was the same answer,,,he was shocked.