Originally Posted by spaghetti
I show my kids how things can go terribly wrong when there are misunderstandings with authority. And I show them how authority holds all the cards, and that the most important thing is to get away without confusing things. So for my kids when they were young, we reviewed frequently to NEVER speak to a law enforcement officer, a school principal, or anyone else who can punish without first saying, "will you call my mom?" When the authority hears a kid say that, it ceases to be a threat to the child, and it gives some credibility. Recently, with the case of the "free range kids" who were picked up by police, calling the parents would certainly have been useful.

As they have grown into teens, I've told them to ask to tell their side of the story if they feel like it's been an incomplete picture. That way, they can come to me and let me know that whoever was the authority refused to listen to their side, and it gives me an opportunity to get involved.

And as they grow further, I tell them that if a police officer tells them to do something, DO IT. Ask questions later. We don't know why PO is asking, just that it needs to be done. So do it. Having police officers in the school helps them see this in action when kids don't obey.

As far as reporting crime, they've seen me make calls so they should be comfortable with it, but we only do it to "help" never to just report. I think you just have to accept being a different kind of reporter who may not seem credible and have low expectations because of that. In other words, involve a lawyer early as an advocate if you aren't heard or if you become accused.

This is really good advice. I like it. I have a question though... How about if your child has to go to the principal office during school ? My child had to go to the principals office this past week for misbehaving ... It was fine, my son apologized and was in the wrong (and he awknowledged it and it wasn't a big deal) would you kiddos ask for you to be called in that situation ? Just curious how that works.