Bmoore4, I don't want to alarm you or be the type of person who, because my son has an issue, thinks everyone has that issue smile . BUT I would definitely caution you not to rely much on the teacher in your assessment of the situation and whether or not to look more into it. I know that sounds wrong but my son's teachers insisted he was average, insisted his writing was normal for his age, insisted they was nothing wrong other than behavioral, maybe manipulation, maybe adhd (isn't focused enough to write), maybe PDD-NOS...

Mostly, they insisted he was completely average and typical. I would volunteer often in the classroom and felt it was really VERY blatant that there were big issues with his writing. One school OT spoke up and said 'yes reversals are normal at this age but the extent and the amount' that my son does/did them is not normal. She gently and quietly encouraged me to keep going. The next school OT insisted he was normal.

My son has pretty severe dysgraphia. He is 10 and STILL routinely reverses most number and a few letters.

So, I guess my advice is go with gut feeling and get her looked at specifically for a writing disorder (if that is your gut feeling) and do not let the teacher's opinion hold much sway. If I had listened to my son's teachers the dysgraphia may never have been discovered!

ETA I don't have time now to do it but I have in the past posted the specific tests used to diagnose my son. I had to request specifically that the school test for writing disorder/dysgraphia and I had to specifically request specific tests otherwise they would do evals that were mostly adhd evals and behavioral issues evals.

Last edited by Irena; 09/17/15 02:26 PM.