Originally Posted by blackcat
If she's copying, she probably shouldn't be writing them backwards. Otherwise, I agree it's normal at that age. I think you should definitely keep an eye on this. DS has some pretty severe writing issues (at age 8, his writing is still very hard to read), he has an IEP and is pulled for services, including OT and written expression, but he didn't have problems to the degree you are describing in K or 1st grade. In the beginning of K he was able to copy sentences, just more messy and slowly than the other kids. I would talk to the teacher and see what he/she says about it, and whether she acts the same way in class.

I just got this response from her teacher:
"I looked again at her writing and it is very typical for this time of year. They all need to practice spacing and not writing capitals in the middle of words. They all need to practice using lines and forming their letters correctly. I go over this every day by modeling and leaving it on the Smartboard. Is there something about it that you are troubled about? Again, her writing is very average for the time of school year. Hope this helps!"

Do you think based on what I mentioned before and this response, I should just 'wait and see'?