DD claims she can do tests on the computer, but the paper-pencil ones are too stressful (sounds like dysgraphia, right!?). We have had a horrible time with her and testing in the last 6 months and I knew the State test would likely send her over the edge. It turns out the State test was on the computer this year, but I didn't know that when I opted her out. But even with it on the computer, it's still more stressful than it should be and she is excessively slow.

She did well on the State testing in third grade but I have no idea how because she is so incredibly slow and unfocused. She has developed more anxiety since then as well. I knew that even if they could get her to do the State testing, the score probably wouldn't be accurate. She did MAP shortly after I opted her out of the State test (because the school had no recent data points to place her) and her scores (esp. for reading) were a lot lower than I expected. DD said she ran out of time.

The principal didn't act like opting out was a big deal, but this is the last year in this school and then the next school--middle school-- may be looking at past scores.

I was reading an article about opting out and it said that it's the gifted students or high achievers who tend to opt out, and it deflates the school's scores. But then I also read that there are certain teachers out there who are actually encouraging kids/parents to opt out. So I'm not sure what the prevailing attitude is when parents make this choice. I thought the statement "parent refused to allow the student to test" is incredibly negative. I'm not sure if that came from her school or if it's on the reports of all the kids state-wide who opt out.