In our district scores are the state testing are one way you can be designated GATE. Although I intellectually agree that we are testing our kids too much I just never stressed to much about it either way. Neither of my kids have had a huge deal with the testing and I had other things to worry about. And it did get me good data, for example DD who has LD did always test way below most of her classmates and it was clarification that despite that she was keeping up with state minimums. DS has always almost gotten a very high score, finds these test pathetically easy and therefore isn't stressed or anxious about it. (And he has clinical anxiety problems.) I just try to make them very low stress in our house, the only thing I ask of them is that they honestly take the test and don't just goof around.

What bothered me was when I'd heard some teachers (thankfully never mine) were sending home past tests as homework for a few weeks before the test. If I had every seen that the teacher would have gotten a scathing email from me & a letter to the principal. I don't mind the test but I DO mind mindless drill to get them ready for it from an already above average school district.