DS7 attends a small school and in the class ahead of him is a boy with autism.

Long story short - DS likes this kid and wants to learn more about autism. I think the school has had some discussions about it but not a lot.

I think part of his desire is just plain intellectual curiosity but he also said that if he understands it he can help the other kids know what's going on when his friend does something they might think is weird. I followed up on what might be considered weird and he's worried about when his friend won't talk, or does random noises and hand motions and "makes kids mad" - which he couldn't give an example for.

I get the intellectual curiosity part. He's dyslexic and is interested in learning about another type of not "typical".

Thoughts on the being an advocate part? It's a nice thought but what if his friend doesn't want that or what if my son spreads information that may not be accurate for this kid? What information do I give him?

I'm just curious what the group members' thoughts are on this?

DS has very strong feelings about people feeling included and is bothered that kids might hold things against his friend that he can't help.

I don't know this friend or his parents at all.
DS is inviting him to his birthday party so hopefully I'll meet them then.