I've heard that spec Ed parents develop a form of PTSD from advocating for our kids - your post has given me major flashbacks...

I spent 3 1/2 years trying to get my DD evaluated for fine motor/ hand-eye coordination issues and finally got her enrolled in OT a few months before kindergarten. Before school started I sent the teacher paperwork about her fine motor deficit, explained that she was in OT trying to learn to hold a pencil and requesting that she be evaluated for in school services. I didn't know then about all the proper procedures and protocols. I just figured everyone would be on the same page about trying to get a smart, cheerful, enthusiastic kid off to a good start in school. HAHAHAHA....

Not only was it impossible to get her evaluated for any in school services (I was repeatedly told "She'd never qualify for services - she's too smart") the K teacher actively punished her for her disability. "If she doesn't complete the writing assignment she doesn't go to recess. Period." I would explain that she was in OT learning to hold a pencil and physically couldn't complete the writing assignment only to be told "If she doesn't have an IEP or a 504 and she doesn't complete the writing assignment she doesn't go to recess. Period." I would then ask again about getting her screened and would again be told "She'd never qualify for services - she's too smart." Lather, rinse, repeat.

Ironically we had this "discussion" because DD did not write the sentence "My teacher helps me."

There was *no* way to get through to this teacher. None. She was young - had taught for 3 years and was sure she knew it ALL. Everything was about behavior and defiance. These kids had to be broken and she was the one to break them. DD was in that classroom a month before I was able to get her moved but the impact lasted years. She didn't qualify for the "disorder" part of PTSD but spent several years being treated for the post traumatic stress part. Her school anxiety was finally contained years later after being placed OOD in a school that specializes in dealing with anxiety. (She's there because of profound LD issues but also has an anxiety component to her IEP. All starting with this terrible kindergarten experience.)

Not that I am saying your 5th graders are in the same situation only to say that I totally sympathize. Based on my experience I would say yes, talk to the teacher. If she doesn't get it go *immediately* over her head. I can't emphasize *immediately* enough. I went to the vice principal and school psych. We had an emergency meeting where they instructed this teacher not to do this. It worked for about a week and then she went back to her old ways but was even harder on DD. We were able to change her classroom but the damage had already been done.

Sorry for my own vent but as I said your situation triggered my spec Ed PTSD. I assume your situation will be resolved more appropriately. But please do not wait 3 weeks to address the problem.

Good luck!