Originally Posted by Laurie918
I know that teachers need to have rules but IMO taking away recess is never an option for addressing behaviour issues. We don't have our IEP meeting for 3 weeks and I will have an ulcer by then. This is just causing me so much heartache.

I'd talk to the teacher. Does she have any info about your dd and her recent diagnoses? Try to remember that the policy she's passing out is for the "typical" students in her classroom - in a few weeks you'll be having your IEP meeting and you can use this policy to advocate for putting language in the IEP accommodations to make sure this *doesn't* happen to your dd. In the meantime, unless you've had previous conversations that indicate otherwise, I'd go in to talk to the teacher tomorrow and explain that taking away recess is counter-productive for your dd. I wouldn't make any comments about how it never works for behavioral issues or it's not appropriate for any student, I'd just stick to the situation you're advocating for - your dd's education.

If you talk to the teacher and she is rigid about the policy, I'd then talk directly to the SPED coordinator in your building and ask for their advice re how to handle the situation while you are technically in "IEP limbo". You can also call an emergency team meeting to discuss (would include the same people who are coming to your IEP team meeting - I don't know what the meeting would be called where you are at, but in our district this type of meeting *before* a student has an IEP, is referred to as a "Student Services Team" meeting.

I also don't know if this will help, but we had the same thing happen early in the school year the same year our ds was waiting to qualify for his IEP. I talked to the teacher, she didn't "get it" right away, but she was willing to let our ds use a different approach which I suggested as a "meet us halfway" type of concession - I can't remember the exact solution, but explained the challenge and what happened when recess was taken away (including negative impacts at home), and in place of the recess situation, I asked that ds always *always* be allowed to participate in recess, and that the work he sent be sent home with him and I'd oversee to make sure he finished it.

Best wishes,

polarbear