I do not have much time at the moment - sorry... BUT I have to chime in quickly because it so ticks me off when schools pull this crap. They (school) told my hairdresser the same thing for her son. (we are both in PA) Her son's FSIQ is 148 and he has severe adhd. They told her he was not welcome in the gifted program because of his adhd ... oh, they put it a little nicer - "he can not be in it because he has behavioral issues," "it would be too difficult for him to do the program since he has adhd," stuff like that. I was so annoyed to hear this - he is exactly the kind of kid who needs gifted programing! With that kind of IQ and adhd?!? And she was sort of buying it... I told her that he needs it more than anything and they are discriminating against him because he has adhd. I told her to tell the school that not considering him for ATP due to his disability (in any manner, including the behavioral results of his disability) was absolutely illegal (and it is in PA) and that it is unlawful discrimination. Once, she said "that is unlawful discrimination against my son due to his disability," he was properly considered, admitted and given a GIEP. And he loves it... and she says it was like he has found his tribe as they are all quirky! He even finally has friends. Then, they told her they wouldn't give him an IEP for his ADHD - whole other ordeal that I helped her with and suffice it to say he has an IEP now. Bottom line? Some schools seem very keen on keeping twice exceptional kiddos out of gifted programming. It's illegal, don't let them do it! Simply tell them it is unlawful discrimination. They know what they are doing - no doubt in my mind. The Dir of SpeEd especially knows that it is illegal - she is banking on you not knowing it.

Last edited by Irena; 09/02/15 04:34 PM.