I plan stuff as a career, but as a kid - and teen - I was completely hopeless in terms of organizing and planning and goal setting. If I had to survive in today's classrooms, I'd be toast.

So apart from providing a ray of hope for parents of EF-challenged kids (they could grow up to be program managers, you never know!), my point is that having someone else decide how you will be organized doesn't really help. If that person (cough - me - cough) really likes planning and organizing, it's even worse.

Scaffolding and supporting (and reminding and coaxing and even "helping") is good -- but only if the kid has some ownership over the system. When DD was younger it was enough to let the teacher's dictate whatever planning and organizing they wanted. But as she entered the world of flexible homeschool class stuff, I stepped in and would suggest ideas, present opportunities to review and select planners, create schedules on the computer... but the hardest part was backing off and letting her own it.

If something wasn't working, it was better to help her walk through what she wanted to do differently than to suggest or dictate.

This is honestly true at work (where consensus around necessary processes is better than dictating from on high) but it's more true with (pre)teens (who you can't fire, as it turns out).