I find the sample pages (and the whole website) very visually and spatially cluttered. (Seriously, if I felt they really knew the needs of people with EF issues, that website layout would be better.)

As a very practical issue, the weekly pages only give space for 6 classes and not much space to write in them. My kids use a full size planner and prefer ones without cluttered space on the margins ("helpful study tips!" "Write your spelling list here!", etc) because it makes to space to write smaller.

This is the one my kids use when not forced to use a school-mandated cluttered one: http://www.amazon.com/Roaring-Sprin...&keywords=Student+Plan+-+Roaring+Springs

The only thing that's really missing is the "what to bring home" icons to circle. I'd probably find a work around.

Annually, I wistfully search for the planners *I* used in high school. It was perfect, and had a more sturdy cover so it wasn't falling off after three weeks of backpack abuse. It was laid out rotated from most planners nowadays, with the subjects across the top, and days of the week going down the side. This laid out the space better for 8-class schedules.

But yes, in answer to your general question, a planner is great (indeed, necessary!) for EF challenged kids, but only if they learn to use it. Someone needs to help them learn to use it effectively and to develop the habits of relying on it.