Originally Posted by blackcat
I would be extremely curious to know the percentage of assessed kids for OT who end up with "some" diagnosis requiring therapy, as well as kids who get checked with vision issues and then are diagnosed with a vision issue requiring therapy. Sometimes it seems like taking a child to be assessed will guarantee that diagnoses will be forthcoming.

I hear and understand your cynicism on this point. When we were going through the figuring it out phase, I probably could have gone and gotten DD several more diagnoses. I got so tired of everyone telling me things that I should be doing for my kid RIGHT NOW to address her vision, her writing, her task initiation, etc.(notice it was never something that the school or whoever was assessing the problem should be doing). If we had done everything that they suggested, when they suggested it, DD would not have had time to sleep.

To the OP, I understand that feeling of being over-whelmed. I finally had to step back and ask which one thing rose to the top.
I know that it can be hard to figure out what that "one thing" should be. Ironically, for us, it was the school psychologist pulling me aside after a meeting and helping me prioritize without the crowd. He likened it to figuring out seating at a wedding. Sometimes it's easier to figure out who you can put at the back tables first and then work your way up. So for us, typing and gross motor OT could wait, then the reading intervention didn't make as much sense if her eyes weren't working and we ended up focusing on the vision. We didn't abandon the other stuff but her vision became the number one priority. If we had a day where DD was exhausted (this happened a lot), the other stuff could slide, including homework.

I hope that you can figure out what you need to prioritize. With all of these assessments, hopefully something will rise to the top. You don't have to do everything right now.

Last edited by knute974; 08/20/15 07:39 AM.