Originally Posted by Laurie918
Oh, and she has some sensory vestibular something or other (haven't gotten full report yet) and they are recommending OT for her.

DS had this "sensory vestibular" something or other a couple years ago and was seeing an OT. My concern was that his writing looked like chicken scratches and I wanted some support in getting legible writing out of him, as well as some remediation of a few other issues (like fine motor), but she ended up spinning him around on a board with wheels because his eyes weren't moving back and forth fast enough (or maybe too fast--I don't remember). It's quite possible he had something going on, after all he had a skull fracture and brain damage on the right side of his head, but is there actually research demonstrating that spinning on a board for a few min. per week will help correct this issue? Could I just find a free playground with a merry go round and swing instead? She also wanted him to go get vision therapy. Instead of taking him to get a vision assessment I took him to a neuro-opthamologist who saw the "superficial" issue (his eyes don't track on command), but thought that would improve on it's own. So who was right? I don't know but there seem to be so many different opinions in terms of these issues and therapies. I would be extremely curious to know the percentage of assessed kids for OT who end up with "some" diagnosis requiring therapy, as well as kids who get checked with vision issues and then are diagnosed with a vision issue requiring therapy. Sometimes it seems like taking a child to be assessed will guarantee that diagnoses will be forthcoming. I thought that working with a physical therapist was very helpful for DS, but the OT struck me as a sort of quackery and waste of time/money. I'd do some research on the issue and ask a lot of questions before investing time/money in it.

I know it must be overwhelming, though, to get all this information, esp. with two different kids. I have two kids that are 2e as well, and sometimes it seems like a full time job trying to figure it all out. Hang in there.