Not sure whether I should make new topic or continue this one but will see how it goes.
So we skipped my son (discussed above) and he had a terrible year last year. Nasty teacher that made him feel very unsafe. Didn't work very much and behavior was silly. Never had any behavior problems before. This year he is in a year 5 and year 6 composite where they have collected the highest achieving students from both years. He is much happier and has had no behavior issues at all. But .... he is very disengaged from school, does bare minimum in class and at home and teacher is unsure what is going on. We met with her at the teaching support meeting - that he is supposed to have as part of his year skip, and she said she sees no sign of him having high ability at all. She suggested we have him retested as she thinks that the original tests have way overestimated his potential ability. I don't think so but I am not sure how to try and get him to open up and try at school. I said that even if the tests overestimated by 20 points he should still be achieving better than he is. Also, if he was trying and not achieving then is would seem like lower ability rather than something else. The teacher had a conversation with him to try and encourage him and was going to try and find out more about how to encourage him.
I feel very worried that we stuffed up with the year skip but maybe this would have been then same in his original year too.
Do you think we should retest?
Does anyone have any suggestions to try and help him enjoy school more?
His dad said he was the same- couldn't see the point of anything until he was doing something real. This was his PhD at 22!!!! Teacher and I were not keen to wait that long.
He will have the same teacher this year and next. I think she is used to bright, driven children. Not the bright undriven ones.

Any thoughts, ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
HHBella