Originally Posted by MomC
it's so mindless, I can't believe this is what a gifted kid would choose to do with her time. I guess I had more choices to do unsupervised things outside when I was a kid -- and I doubt that they were very "intellectual" either!
There are things to enjoy vicariously online, which may more closely resemble stuff kids did on their own in past decades and generations. On the prufrock press website, I recently came across their blog which mentions "Free, Astounding Science Videos Perfect for Summer Learning".

Possibly also fun as enrichment and after schooling. I've watched several of the Smarter Every Day videos and find them very interesting. However parents may wish to preview or watch them with their kiddos as there are some presentations which are definitely in the "do not attempt this at home" category. Like most free things, there are ads. The audiobooks sound interesting. Some of the videos may provide inspiration for science fair projects or research reports.

If the OP's question about acting gifted indicated wondering about the level of internal motivation for initiating a new interest, possibly all that's needed is a spark of variety like this?