Originally Posted by staceychev
DD10 was tested at age five with the WJ-Cog, and tests in the upper HG range (99.9%). She's in CTY (verbal) and in the gifted pull-out at her school. She's an amazing artist and can draw better than most adults. But, other than major sensitivities, to the point where I sometimes wonder if she's got mild Asperger's, I feel like she doesn't act like an HG kid. If I let her, she'd just watch YouTube videos of IHasCupQuake all day, with the occasionally foray into whatever current craft obsession that she also learned on YouTube (right now it's needle-felting).

I'm wondering if I have done something wrong as a parent, but she just doesn't seem to have much curiosity about the world. Has school done this to her? Is it puberty? Is it mid-August doldrums? Should I be exposing her to more?

Sigh.

DD9 (almost 10) is the same, she tested 99.9th percentile for GAI on the WISC but if she had her way she would just watch stupid videos on YouTube all day long. I was reading about the new DYS criteria and I don't know if DD "deserves" that title even though she has the test score. She doesn't act "gifted" at all, but then she'll do something that astounds me, like whip together a 100 pc. jigsaw puzzle in 30 min without looking at the box cover, pulling 1 piece out of the box at a time rather than spreading them all face up.

DS8 comes across as more stereotypically gifted because he'll randomly start talking about something like fractals out of the blue, or 64 bit processors, or how World War I started. He is curious about a wide variety of topics, whereas DD has a few strong interests at a time, but acts bored by everything else. Maybe it's a "tween" things, or maybe it's just how it is with some kids who test as gifted.