Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate the advice about punishment. It wasn't my intention to "punish" him for switching the letters, but simply to practice. i understand though that I probably made a bad situation worse, and I will try not to do that again.

Yes, the counselor says she will work on coping strategies with him. On Monday, I will definitely ask for a definitive plan and also what I need to do to help. The teacher wants me to keep her informed of what is happening in counseling and I have no problem with that.

In regards to food, I give him a snack in the car as soon as I pick him up. He is usually hungry. I make sure he gets a good breakfast and I pack his lunch because he wasn't eating the server lunch. He gets a morning and an afternoon snack at school. At least two times, he has complained that he missed a snack so I plan to follow up with the teacher when we meet.

As for discipline/behavior charts, this is a problem for him. In kindg, there was a complicated 7 color behavior chart. Everyone started in the middle on green. You could move down three steps (yellow-orange-red) and move up three (blue-purple-pink). He obsessed over this the first few weeks of kindergarten--drawing it over and over and putting them up in his room. Looking back, I wish I had taken this as a sign. He never moved past blue, and to my knowledge only one child ever made it up to pink. At the beginning of the school year, he told me that he understood how to move down but he didn't understand how to move up. I did ask the teacher, and she was very vague "doing good deeds" or something like that. He still talks about the time he moved up to blue and what he did.

I will read the Explosive Child this weekend. Thank you for the recommendation

How would I find out or where would I take him to be tested to find out if he has a learning challenge?

Thank you all so much for your responses. I truly appreciate them. I am so worried about this. I thought I picked a good kindergarten for him, and it was such a bust that I am doubting every decision that I am making.