Originally Posted by geofizz
Wikipedia has everything: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waka_(canoe)

All that's required at these meeting is 1 core subject teacher. I have specifically requested others attend IEP meetings, but this has only been successful at the elementary school.
I'd just as soon there be fewer attendees because I figure they are all annoyed by being there in the first place--so fewer equals less negativity in the room. DS' 504 (so far) has been very simple and low demand-on-teacher. I like to keep things simple and reasonable but am now thinking it should be more specific, since when I'd ask for things that seemed like obvious front-line behavior management to me (outside of 504), they didn't happen.

I would like to take the waka building class...funny that reminds me of an extremely gifted young man I know, with EF issues, who says the best classes he ever took in HS were his tech (wood shop) classes--where he went well above and beyond, was totally engaged, and learned a lot of engineering and practical skills. He learned everything else too easily, including math and science, and spent most of his HS career playing practical jokes and being a general nuisance. :P