K was mostly OK for my DS16. He went in reading at at least a 2nd/3rd grade level. He was 1 out of 2 early readers in his class, and there were two others that joined them mid-year. For us K was only 1/2 day 3 hours of lessons and a twenty minute snack/recess in the middle. If it had been longer perhaps it would have been a problem but they switched activity every 20 minutes most of the time so there wasn't much time to get bored. And it was good for him to see phonics (he taught himself to read at 3) and practice handwriting in a formal way. Watching their schedule almost made me dizzy. DS didn't really mind as there was a lot of variety. Although he didn't learn a lot academically.

The teacher did know that he was ahead academically. I was volunteering once a week and the teacher made me in charge of taking DS & another student to library to find appropriate reading level so they could participate in the AR program that the older elementary kids were doing. But not much was done for math enrichment. They only spent 20 minutes a day on math, and the level they expected was particularly low.

As other parents say the older grades was more of a problem. DS had the most problems in early elementary in 2nd grade mostly because the teacher wasn't a good fit.