DS was invited to a park playmate's birthday party over the weekend. He had a great time, but I was put into the uncomfortable position by his friend's mom because I had "the smart kid" who will be going to "the smart school."

She introduced me to other adults at the party like this: "This is George, the father of that kid who is going to (well known gifted private school) in the fall! You must be so proud of his accomplishments!"

Wow. First off, I didn't even know that this mother knew anything about that, so I was completely caught off guard. Second, my identity immediately morphed from Anonymous Dad to Dad with Freaky Kid.

I was able to steer the conversion in a different direction, but also felt compelled to explain some private things to this person I had just met. I did help clear up some misconceptions, I hope, but losing the cover of anonymity was hard.

Then again, DS and their DD get along super awesomely and there will likely be many playdates in the future. Maybe it was better for it to simply be out in the open with her mom, as now we won't have to inevitably explain ourselves in the future.

Last edited by George C; 07/20/15 08:15 AM.