Some background info...

Dd is strong in math but hates it. In school it has always been her chief complaint, especially since her teacher for the past 2 years (G&T class) used primarily online math programs and dd wants to be taught face to face, not through a computer. So I'm contemplating starting with LOF and then letting her explore khan independently (the only online place she's tolerated).

My main concern about switching to HS is that she has benefited socially from her G&T (self-contained class) and has changed tremendously the past 2 years, mostly thanks to the social worker that comes in and the super flex program. In fact, superflex is the only subject she ever got excited about. So dd went from a student who was emotionally and socially cut off/withdrawn from her classroom/peers, to a very outgoing student that shares her thoughts and opinions.

Her school uses a project based learning approach for all subjects besides math and they spend months on a single topic. So at the end of the year not many topics are covered.

So my dilemma is deciding which is more important... Social/personal development? Or academic development? Dd's perspective is that school is a waste of time and complains that she's not learning anything. Last year was painful and long... This year we are getting a brand new teacher with extensive G&T experience but I'm thinking the teacher will still follow the teaching methods of the school and despite her teaching experience not much will change in how things are taught.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 07/19/15 08:27 AM.