I am sending 2 DD's to middle school this Fall. One I feel confident about (most organized MG kid on the planet), and one, DD10, who I worry about (grade skipped with executive function issues that I wrote about on the 2E forum just a bit ago). Well, we all met with the AG teacher, and I came away a bit concerned. After talking with the girls a bit (DD11 all polite and quiet, and DD10 quiet until some of the sarcasm came out, sigh). Ms. AG stated that the guidance counselor is strict about kids advocating for themselves. Now, I know middle school is not grade school, but warning bells went off when the Ms. AG felt the need to give me a heads up with a certain look on her face. Ms. AG also mentioned the phrase, "Velcro parents" which is a new and improved (!!) version of helicopter parents phrase. Yikes. Next (after my kids left) we discussed how kids are assessed, and Ms. AG stated that the teachers follow a differentiation model in which they test the kids and divide the class into thirds - kids who need help, middle level kids, and finally kids working ahead. She said the school does not tell the parents in what level the kids are placed. She suggested that if DD finds the work too easy that DD would have to go to the teacher and ask for projects. Ms. AG informed me that this middle school is all about creating the "well rounded student" vs. the middle schools which are AG focused. Finally, she mentioned something about how she thought this school would be a good fit for older DD, and we would have to see how DD10 does throughout the year.
So, is that how most classes are divided? Is it the norm not to tell parents where the kids are placed? My mom (former AG teacher thought it was strange). Once again I am hearing that DD might have to create her own curriculum. Do kids do that in middle school? DD is somewhat timid, but getting better, and I just don't know if she will approach a teacher about this. I warned the AG teacher that DD will rise to the level expected of her. Give her grade level work, and she will do it. Give her above level work, and she will do fine on that as well (and easily). So I don't come off as a "Velcro parent", I'd like to hear about middle school reality. I am also hoping we made the right school choice.