Madeinuk, "accreditation" is insufficient if the legislature has passed other laws that require additional hurdles in specific instances, such as governing vendors who provide solely online instruction. I know it seems silly when applied to a top-notch reasonably priced program like AOPS, but at the same time it would be a dangerous precedent to exempt application of the law to favorite vendors. After all, if the vendors want to do business with the schools, they can pay the fees to the state and/or district to undergo the vetting/monitoring process as many have done. Alternatively, the district can provide live instructional staff to supplement online instructional programs.

I am in a huge district (well over 100,000) that employs quite a few attorneys so tends to be on top of relevant legislation. Mostly I am glad because who wants to find out that their child won't graduate because some credits have been invalidated. Our specific middle school probably aren't aware of either AOPS accreditation or relevant laws RE online providers, but fortunately every acceleration must be approved by the central office so I tend to deal with knowledgeable people who can cite relevant statutes.