Hi all,

Has anyone accelerated his/her child into a different school (ie. from elementary to intermediate (or middle) school or middle school to high school etc.). If so, how is that negotiated by the district?

My son just finished 4th grade (skipped K). The schools are chunked k-3, 4-5, 6-8, 9-12; He has said many times that he does not want more work, but would like to feel challenged. So far, each year the bldg principals have said they will select a teacher who would be able to provide more challenging work etc... Between all of the test prep that goes these days plus regular curriculum, I think it is unrealistic (and unfair) to expect a teacher to plan a separate curriculum just for our son. It hasn't worked so far.

We feel he is ready to be accelerated (so does he) again, but I guess my question is, since he will be in 5th grade next yr (it is only a 4th and 5th grade school) the only place to send him would be either the middle school or high school. Is this our only option? What else could the district provide? If it is the only option, then how is that negotiated? Would the district be expected to figure out a way to make that work? Would they provide transportation to and from the middle school or high school?

We have a mtg. w/my son's principal next week, I would love to be able to go in w/some information and/or suggestions.

Thank you!!