Originally Posted by madeinuk
I am in a huge district (well over 100,000) that employs quite a few attorneys so tends to be on top of relevant legislation.
Sounds like a bunch of huey to me - how does it work for kids transferring in from Western states then?

Well, I am not affiliated with the school district or the State DOE so can't really answer with any level of authority or confidence. However, standards and requirements have never been uniform across the country so that students from different states do not attain the same level of education but some level of "full faith and credit" has always been the norm in the past in other contexts. As such, I would assume that past promotions will mostly be honored while future promotions require meeting our state and local standards. I did have a neighbor who was certified to teach in her former state who met with the principal and ended up retaining one of her children due to the differences in standards/curriculum. The bottom line was that if she hadn't held back her child, she expected to have to retain her at the end of the school year.