Originally Posted by puffin
My theory is "no teacher shall set a second assignment before the first one has been marked and returned". It is no good giving feedback when you have made the same mistake another 5 times. And it is not teaching. Unfortunately, University is the only time I had that happen.

Here a D would require repeating the year though so I take it that it is a pass there?
A D is technically a pass but is not allowed in the program. I agree with the standard, generally. It's just hard to know how to address all the organizational issues--a lot to manage, DS is quite spacey.

For me, the umbrella issue is that no matter where he goes to middle school, he'll be expected to actually turn in assignments and pay attention--gifted program or not. And he seems to have a lot of trouble with stimulant meds and depression. Not sure if it's two separate problems or related--he is becoming more depressive in puberty. Has always had mood issues (low energy, unmotivated).

I think the program people see this as a "poor fit" (too much for DS) and they may be right. But it's not the actual content--it's his inability to manage himself and his things. So wherever he ends up, *we* still have the problem. Not sure having him do regular MS curriculum helps anything. He needs challenging ideas and assignments--I feel kind of defeated. I think part of the issue is he never had to try at anything until this last year, conceptually. School was easy street before all this.